Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Terrell Owens: Born-Again Cowboy



Originally posted at Star*Struck

I have always had a hard time picking out a favorite player on the Cowboys. I tend to be a “team” concept kind of guy. It’s all about the team not the individual. Terrell Owens, however, is different. I have to admit that T.O. has definitely become one of my favorite players.

To be honest though, it hasn’t always been this way. Like many other fans, when I heard T.O. was coming to Dallas, I couldn’t help but imagine all the ways this would screw up our team. I knew about his problems in the “City of Brotherly Love” and I couldn’t forgive him for his dance of Red and Gold upon our beloved Star at midfield. For me, the celebration on the Star was a desecration of Holy Ground – the unpardonable sin in Cowboyland. “You can write this guy off – Don’t like him. Never will,” I said to myself.

Then……..we bring him to Dallas. What the…….??????

I was dumbfounded. I couldn’t believe that a man who once stood on that Star and mocked it would now be wearing it. As the Bible would say, we had “unequally yoked ourselves together with an unbeliever.”

Training camp of 2006 brought on some drama. I knew the distraction had come. I knew I had been right all along. It passed however, and I continued to wait – all season. Despite some obvious discontent between Owens and the Big Tuna, everything went fine. I even began warming to T.O. – not yet a fan, but secretly starting to hope I could be a fan (although I wouldn’t admit it to anyone).

In 2007, somewhere along the way, I admit I realized that I love T.O. (Hopefully, you won’t take that the wrong way. I refuse to defend the idea of one man loving another here in this blog. Ain’t nothin wrong with it.) It’s not about his stats, which if you compare them to previous years, you can make a pretty decent case that his best year was 2007. It’s about his attitude. T.O. has become a real Cowboy. If I had any doubts about this, they were all completely swept away after the playoff loss to the Giants. Many wanted to play the blame game. Not T.O. “We lost as a team,” he said. It wasn’t about T.O., Romo, Jessica, Mexico……..It was, is, and always will be about the team. With that interview, T.O. solidified me as his lifelong fan without any doubt.

Is T.O.’s new attitude for real? He just said recently that he wants to finish his career in Dallas. Many have questioned this. Not me. I’m a believer.

Personally, I think T.O. was once an unbeliever – holding no respect for the silver and blue or the star under which we play, but like anyone can, he changed. The man who once was never happy with the teams he played for has now found his calling. His calling is to be a Cowboy. He was once discontent due to being surrounded by mediocrity and a lack of dedication. In Dallas, he has found a place where excellence and tradition come together – a place where dreams are made – a place where Championships are written in the Stars.

Yes, T.O. was once an unbeliever. Now he is a “born-again” Cowboy. His sins of the past are behind him now. He plays for America’s Team. The team that has a hole in the stadium roof so God can look down and watch His Boys play football. This ain’t the same T.O. He’s a new man, on a new team, headed for a new Lombardi.

Let me say it once more………….I LOVE T.O.

Just admit it – you love him too.


No comments: