Monday, March 10, 2008

A Star Has Fallen.....

Originally written on Tuesday January 15, 2008

Yes, a Star has fallen…the Star of our beloved Cowboys has gone as far as it will go this season. I am in the process recovering from the shock and disappointment of it all. I really thought we would get by the Giants. I knew we had a tough road ahead facing the Packers and possibly the Patriots, but I just never thought we would let the Giants get us at Texas Stadium. Nevertheless, although I am heartbroken at how this season has ended, I remain confident in the future of the Silver and Blue.

One thing that has really discouraged me has been some of the fan comments about the Cowboys since Sunday's loss. One of my friends on my page wrote to tell me, "The Cowboys suck just like you cuz." LOL. I have to laugh about it, but it does raise an issue that is important to me. I have been a Cowboy fan for 35 years (yes, since I was 5 years old). Now, as I have said before, I don't remember why I originally picked the Cowboys as my team. At age 40, it's now hard for me to contemplate the reasoning of a 5 year old mind (Looking back though, I think that 5 year old decision to support the Cowboys may have been an early sign of genius - although few other signs have appeared throughout the ensuing years……). It may have been the fact that they beat the Dolphins in the Superbowl that year, or it may have simply been that they had cool uniforms (they still do). I don't know. But what bothers me is seeing fans who claim to be loyal suddenly jumping ship just because we have hit rough waters. Although, I don't think a record of 13-3, NFC East Champions, number one seed in the NFC, 12 Pro Bowl selections, and a host of broken or nearly broken team and individual records could exactly be called stormy seas for the Cowboys ship.

I will be the first to admit that I have yelled for the Boys as well as yelled at them. I have gotten pissed at some of their bonehead plays but then turned right around and thrown all my support toward them on the next play or the next game. I can get mad and cuss, rant and rave at the Boys because I am a loyal fan (as are many of you). It's ok to get mad at them but don't give up on them. This has been a terrific season and the Boys have nothing to be ashamed of. Indeed, we have every reason to be proud of our Dallas Cowboys and we have every reason to expect that next season will be even better. To all those fans who jump ship now after our playoff loss, you have to make your own decision in that area. If you want my opinion, however, I think you will regret it down the road. This team is young, talented, and here to stay for a while. You can't win them all, but this team will win more than their share.

So yes, I was crushed by the loss like so many others. The pic of Princess Marmaduke above really captures how I have felt after the loss to the Giants. Yes, it was heartbreaking. Am I giving up on the Cowboys? No way! The Cowboys are my team and will always be my team. So many of us fans have a graphic of some type on our page that says, "Win, Lose or Tie, I'm a Cowboy fan till I die." Let's live by that instead of jumping ship just because the ship sailed into some rough waters.

Let the critics bash, and the haters spit their poison at our team. The Boys can deal with it. So can us fans. As fans we just need to continue to support the Boys by remaining confident and full of pride. The critics and haters will never be won over. Don't worry about them. But as fans, lets remember to "Respect the Star."

To Princess Marmaduke: I know how you feel Sweetheart. But the hurt will heal before training camp. Yes, a Star has fallen………..but what do you do when a Star falls? You make a wish of course. My wish is that the Cowboys come back next season, more mature, more confident, more disciplined, and more determined. I wish for a 6th Ring. This wish will come true. I guarantee it.

Note: I would like to thank my friend VACowgirl, and my new friend, Princess Marmaduke, for allowing me to use this picture in my blog

No comments: