Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Few Minutes As An Eagles Fan

I admit that with a background in Biblical studies, theology, and philosophy I am not your typical sportswriter by any means. Sometimes my blogs are a bit “over the top” when I apply Biblical analogies to the Cowboys and events surrounding them. I have been a fan of the Cowboys since 1972 and get these crazy ideas and start writing until I gush with praise over their success (or I think Armageddon is just around the corner when they fail). That’s just the way I think in my own little world inside my head and I share it with others in the hope that they might find it entertaining as well. Do I really think God has a favorite team? Not really. I think God loves all people, without regard to their skin color or the uniform they wear.

So, today, I have decided to try something different in this blog. I am going to try to lay aside any bias or prejudice I may have. For a few minutes, I’m going to pretend to be a fan of another NFL team and ruminate on our glorious history. Now lets see which one I should pick…

The Buffalo Bills…with four straight Superbowl losses…Nah.

The N.Y. Giants…No. Although, my hat is off to them for last year’s success, I’m still too bitter.

The Redskins…NO! I can’t commit blasphemy even if it is just pretend.

I know…the Eagles!!! Since we play them this Monday, they’re perfect.

Now lets think back over the grand and glorious history of the Philadelphia Eagles…

We have gone to the Superbowl eight times and won five Lombardi Trophies…No. Wait. That was that other team we hate so much. We, the Eagles, have gone to the Superbowl…um…just once. It was 1980 and we made history by being the first team ever to lose to a wildcard team (the Oakland Raiders).

Remember when the Bills went to four straight Superbowls and lost all four? Each loss was to a team from the NFC East; once to the Giants, once to the Redskins, and twice to the Cowboys. One of those should have been ours in order for the entire NFC East to have been represented. Unfortunately, those damn Cowboys took more than their fair share.

OK, so Superbowl titles are not exactly our forte, but we do have three NFL Championships that we earned before the Superbowl was inaugurated. These occurred in 1948, 1949 and 1960. Unfortunately, since I am only 40 years old, I am not old enough to remember these “glory days.” Then, in 1960, an expansion club (previously mentioned above) was started that sort of eclipsed us and we have been living in their shadow ever since.

This year is going to be different though. We opened last Sunday by obliterating the Rams 38-3. Granted, the Rams are only a Junior Varsity team but I was really impressed. Now, we’re on our way to Texas to take on the Cowboys and that T.O. dude that we can’t stand anymore. We Birds are ready to show “the Boys” what we have.

Awww hell, forget it - I can’t stand it! I hope my Cowboys beat the wings off those Eagles!!!!

I am a Cowboy fan and proud of it. Forget this “New Age, get in touch with your enemy” crap. I am a one team, and one team only man. The Cowboys are the only team I care about. Give me the Silver and Blue. Give me the stadium with the hole in the roof and the Ring of Honor that makes me so proud. Give me the Star that some teams fear, some hate, but all respect. Give me a “history of victory” and a destiny of future Lombardi Trophies down the road. Give me the Dallas Cowboys – America’s Team – My Team.

To fans of other teams out there, God bless you. Keep supporting your team. Feel free to comment, brag on your team or bash mine. Diversity is what makes everything so much fun. Stay loyal. But just remember this – some call it arrogance, we just call it confidence. We know we’re good. You support your team. I respect that and I respect you. But to paraphrase the book of Joshua from the Old Testament (Joshua 24:15), “Choose this day which team you cheer for, but as for me and my house, we will cheer for the Cowboys.”

Can I get an “AMEN” from the congregation?


NOTE: I would like to make a correction to this blog. One of my friends pointed out to me that the Eagles have actually been to the Superbowl twice - not just once. This is correct. In 2005, the Eagles faced the Pats and once again came away without the Lombardi. T.O., who was still an Eagle at that time, had an outstanding day after just having returned from a broken ankle, but even this wasn't enough for the Eagles to claim their much desired championship.

I can't believe I forgot about that one. I hate not getting my facts right even when I am just poking fun at another team.

You know what they say - the memory is the second thing to go. I can't remember what the first thing is or when it left, but once I do remember, I am sure I will blog about it somewhere...

-Rich

No comments: